Recently I posted an article stating that the conference between the House and the Senate over healthcare would likely happen behind closed doors between the respective leaderships instead of appointing members to a public conference. I was only wrong about one thing; the West Wing is going to be there too.
From The Washington Times:
Dems look to skip formality on health bills
Democratic leaders are looking to forgo a formal, public conference to merge the House and Senate’s health care overhaul bills, giving Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the White House free rein to hammer out the final measure behind closed doors and thwart Republican efforts to stymie it.
The maneuver gives Democratic leaders the ability to quickly work through hundreds of differences between the 2,000-page bills and to keep control over the deals they will need to make on politically touchy topics such as abortion, taxes and Medicare cuts.
“A true conference could take longer than it seems leaders in the Senate want to spend on this,” said a Senate Democratic aide.
Democratic aides say the final decision hasn’t been made, but the party’s congressional leaders will talk with the president this week. Democrats are pursuing a final vote in both chambers on the president’s top agenda item in time for his first State of the Union address later this month.
Now this is where the Democrats ‘eating their young’ is added to the mix, and remember, this traitorous congress is going to pass this POS, the Pretender is going to sign it, and then we are going to have to walk it back later this year. Mark my words.
Democrats Considering Health Care-Immigration Deal To Overcome Key Sticking Point
Lawmakers who want to extend health coverage to illegal immigrants will not block the passage of the final health care reform bill so long as the White House offers a substantive promise to start pushing comprehensive immigration legislation this year. (emphasis mine)
Democrats who want a comprehensive bill that reforms immigration law but also offers a pathway to citizenship have threatened to vote against health care if illegals aren’t included in the new system, making immigration one of the sticking points as Democratic leaders negotiate the final details.
Democratic leadership aides believe that a firm White House promise of a comprehensive immigration bill will be enough to quell any House dissent.
TPMDC sources have been telling us that members won’t admit it publicly but they are ready to concede on immigration in the health care bill. Political aides in the White House have told key parties in Congress that President Obama wants to see a bill this year, and negotiations are under way for how it would be written.
Go here to understand how the Dems can just merrily continue to piss on the majority of the country without a care in the world.
This immigration bit really gives me pause. It seems to me that the democrats are really out of their minds on this one. Do they just want to open the door to anyone and expect the rest of us to foot the bill? They are mainly interested in bringing more sheep into the fold as insurance for their continued elections. Be they citizen or not the dirty democrats will work a way around it. When I think that I was one of that party for many years I get sick to my stomach.
Most Americans are stretched to the limit as it is, should we be expected to take on the responsiblity of providing health care for citizens of another country?
As has been descussed before, while we’re still reeling from one punch they come along and blindside us with another. If we can just hold these vipers off long enough to VOTE THE BUMS OUT maybe we can prevent a complete collapse of our economy (what there is lleft of it).
I just hope that they get into a squabble amongst themselves that prevents a speedy passage of this bill because the one will sign it regardless of what is in it since he wants to chalk this up as another WIN.
the amnesty bill working its way through the house has some real gems in it. several are noted below, from a fax i sent in november…..
1. Background checks will be done; however, citizenship will be granted before the results are back. If the background check is negative, do they lose citizenship and get deported? They are already a known criminal, as they did not enter the country legally.
2. American citizens get to pay for the attorneys for illegal aliens. Sorry, I will need the money for my own attorney when I refuse to comply with the unconstitutional mandates in the health care bill.
3. If a gang member wants citizenship, all they have to say is they no longer want to be in a gang. And we are going to trust them?
4. They will not be responsible for any back taxes and will immediately qualify for earned income credit. Is this due to the belief they most likely were in a low income job and would not have owed any taxes? Most likely, they were paid under the table so have not paid anything into the system for taxes or the entitlement programs.
5. The mandate to learn English is delayed for 9 years. Once upon a time, we expected people to be able to speak English before they became citizens. Of course, that law has been ignored, as evidence by me having to push 1 for English.
6. (I especially love this one) American citizens get to send $$$ to Mexico, so Mexicans can continue living in their country. $$$ to be used for health care and education. Sorry, I will need my $$$ to pay the “fines” for the unconstitutional mandates in the health care bill.
behind closed doors……if only we could lock the door from the outside!